Top 10 Reasons to Eat Organic
- Thursday, 06 September 2012
There's a picture that has been branded on my brain: A farm worker spraying fields with pesticides; he's wearing a contamination suit and a gas mask. I remember being shocked when I first saw the image. I associated that sort of get-up with highly contagious viruses and industrial chemical leaks—not food. It was in that moment that I started to really worry about pesticide residue on the foods I eat.
Websites such as ours, espouse the benefits of eating organic foods, but skeptics remain given, the study published earlier this week by Stanford University. While there might always be conflicting reports about whether organics offer more nutritional value than non-organic foods, there's no doubt organic farming is better for human health, local wildlife and the planet in general.
Top 10 Benefits of Eating Organic
1. Waterways aren't contaminated by chemical run-off from farms.
2. Pesticide-related health risks to farm workers (and anyone living in the area) are eliminated.
3. You will dramatically reduce the amount of pesticide residue you ingest on a daily basis. Pesticides ingested by pregnant women may be linked to birth defects and health issues.
4. Biodiversity is increased with the use of buffer crops, and by avoiding killing or harming insects and other wildlife that is not a threat to crops.
5. Pesticides are responsible for a staggering amount of greenhouse gas emissions.
6. You can avoid eating any genetically modified foods.
7. Reduced reliance on chemical and agri-engineering corporations is good for farmers.
8. Organic farming is healthier for the soil.
9. Organic dairy cows are not injected with milk-boosting hormones such as recombinant bovine somatotrophin (rBST) which may increase insulin levels in humans.
10. Organics taste better. It's just my humble opinion, but I've noticed a difference in the taste of strawberries, peaches, grapes and leafy greens.
If you're still skeptical, I dare you to put your faith in conventionally grown foods to the test.